Saturday, September 19, 2015

DIY Harry Potter Wands



These DIY Harry Potter wands make the perfect prop to go with any Harry Potter costume, awesome party favors at a Harry Potter party, or a special gift for any Harry Potter lover! Here's how to get realistic looking wands for about $2 each! 

Here is what you will need:

3'/16" Wooden Dowels. You can find them at any craft store. I got these at Walmart for $0.97.

Hemp. ($5 at Walmart)

Hot glue. I used my mini hot glue gun. I felt like it was easier to control when detailing each wand. My mini hot glue gun uses mini (shorter) glue sticks. The ones I got were $0.97 for a pack of 10.

Pam or anything that you can use to grease your fingers so they don't stick to the glue. I'll explain more about that later. This can cost me $2.58.



Ok, let's get started!

For this wand, we're going to make a spiral design. 
To do that, put a little hot glue on the tip of the dowel and push the end of a strand of hemp into it and let it harden.

Next, wrap the strand of hemp around the dowel like so. 
Then hot glue at the bottom to keep in place. 

To make the handle, start by turning the soon-to-be wand horizontally and apply hot glue from left to right. Turn the wand and repeat until the entire end of the dowel is covered in a thick layer of hot glue. Apply layers as needed until you reach desired thickness.

Here's where the Pam comes in handy. After you let the hot glue cool a little (not too much that it starts to harden) spray some Pam on your fingers and gently press into the glue to shape. Reapply grease as needed so your fingers don't stick to the glue. 

To get a rounded end on the wand, apply a blob of hot glue to it and hold it up like so and then flip it SLOWLY the opposite end down . Repeat this motion until the glue begins to dry. Press greased fingers into glue to shape. 

As you can see, I did it twice for this wand.

I did a variety of designs to give each wand a unique feel.
All these need now is a nice, generous coat of spray paint and they'll be looking like they just came from Ollivanders!

BEFORE

AFTER!
Paint makes a huge difference!
Any semi-gloss brown or black spray paint will work just fine. Each can cost me $3. Each wand only needed 1-2 coats. I still have lots of spray paint left over for the next project!

There are so many ways to make each wand unique and perfect 
for each witch or wizard! 

Nothing is better than the original, but I tried!
Here is my take on the Elder Wand.

"Expelliarmus!"

Check out more DIY's, awesome decor finds and fun party ideas here!:
FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/EllieJEventPlanning
INSTAGRAM https://instagram.com/partiesbyelliej/
PINTEREST https://www.pinterest.com/partiesbyelliej/


No comments:

Post a Comment